December 1, 2007

Fun In The Sun: Practicing What You Teach

First off- I'm sorry it's been a few days since I have updated, my Constant Reader. The end of the semester is quickly approaching, and I had to study and take a few finals here and here. Furthermore, the Phoenix Friday edition for November 30th, 2007 was skipped because I spent the day here, and the night here. Hark, have no fear. Phoenix Friday will return with vigor this week. I have some really cool things cooking, including an up-to-date, in-depth calendar of anything worth doing. Be looking forward to that. In the meantime, let's catch up on some news from the Green Room:

The State Press is reporting that ASU is announcing plans to power as much as one-fifth (1/5) of the Tempe campus with solar energy. The news comes on the heels of an announcement that the brand new School of Sustainability will be offering a menu of majors in Sustainability (B.A., B.S., M.A., M.S., and Ph.D.). The new school was birthed out of the well-established Global Institute of Sustainability.

The fact that a portion of ASU's energy is now renewable alone is groundbreaking, and newsworthy. But even more so is the application of the New American University. The idea itself, and the man behind it have been under a lot of scrutiny over the last couple years. However, the idea is beginning to flesh out, and people (including myself) are taking note. I'll speak for myself here, but I think many others agree: I flat out didn't think it would work. The ideas were too ambitious, too far from what ASU had previously been known for (i.e. Number three (3) on Playboy's Top Ten Party Schools in 2006). Furthermore, there was, and is, no gray space with Dr. Crow. His plan was for a New American University started tomorrow. Not in five (5) years.

Now that the dust has settled a little bit, the New American University isn't seeming to be such a bad idea. It takes the theory of the classroom and propels it into practice. It takes the schools of public administration, public policy, and nonprofit studies (my major), and places them right in Downtown Phoenix, amongst relevant discussions. It takes all the ideas that surround a faltering ecology, and puts into practice a solar energy program on campus. It promotes collaboration, innovation, and all sorts of other cool buzz words.

Below is one of eight (8) videos that the Office of the President put together for a little positive PR on the subject. Here is a link to the rest. And before I go, here is a link to an article that might give you an idea why Dr. Crow's ideas are met with a little hostility. Have a great Thursday, and I'll see you on Friday. Can't wait!

Cheers,
Sam
"Like Corn Flakes and milk, Maroon and Gold go together."
Professor Matthew C. Whitaker





3 comments:

Adam W said...

Crow has been, is, and always will be completely full of Sh_t. Maybe he's making my diploma worth more, but it's still buried under the printer paper in my desk and probably always will be...

Samuel I. Richard said...

I cannot disagree with your comment. I'm definitely not sold on the man or his tactics, but the concept of the New American University is growing on me. The 96% tuition increase over the last five years, however, is not growing on me (possible pun). I vaguely remember something about, "free as possible"...

katherine said...

I like Crow (please don't have me stoned..ha ha ha in anyway that is) People who make great changes are often not recognized until years down the road when the full effects can be seen. Maybe some of us don't like it so much because we pay more now to benefit others later, or maybe because we think we would do it differently had we been in the decision making chair. For now maybe we should be glad that some changes are happening that could be really good for the environment and the society around us. We may not always trust a person but we can't deny the steps being taken in the right direction.