December 22, 2007

Round Up From The Ground Up | Volume One

It doesn't matter if you don't think my titles are clever. I do. And I sleep easier at night because I'm witty.

Today's edition of the Grassroots Change Department (get the title now?) comes from the Sustainability Desk here at Deserted After Dark. Thoughts and contributions welcome. Snide remarks are not.

I'm a big fan of the book, Affluenza. If you haven't read it, put it on your wish list. It's a great read, I promise. The book was written, made, and produced in association with an organization called Redefining Progress. The people at RP are my heroes. In fact, if they happen to stumble across this, I hope they read this line

I want to do my internship with you in the field of Sustainable Economics

But I digress. They are connected with a variety of people and issues that you should know about, beginning with the organization itself. Seriously, check out their website. Other cool things happening:

Climate Justice Now!

-This is a blog put together by a group of people who were at the recent United Nations conference in Bali (more info here). Put plainly, there is just some awesome insider analysis here worth reading. Enjoy.

An Unequal Burden
(.pdf link)

- This is a rather lengthy document (for some of you, five (5) pages is too much, I know) that was put out a few years ago (2004) on the subject of African Americans receiving the short end of the stick when it comes to climate change. The Executive Summary gives you a pretty good idea of what's going on, but the in-depth statistics are, at the very least, eye-opening.

Environmental Justice and Climate Change Initiative

(EJCC)

-This movement defines grassroots. Made up of a larger network of members, the EJCC is all about restructuring the discussion of climate reform, and giving youth a voice in the debate. After all, it's their air, too, right?!

California Interfaith Power & Light

- The website really speaks for itself on this one. I feel like I don't really have a lot of selling to do. But be sure to check out the Theology page, 'cause it's amazingly in-depth.

Cooler


- I know you all are probably all done with your Christmas shopping. But how about birthdays? Or just every day jazz. This should be your hub. Cooler calculates the global greenhouse emissions of every product they sell, and then reverse it by creating agreements with other retailers. For instance, on the front page right now is a PT Limited Edition Cruiser Bicycle. If I purchased it through Cooler, instead of Overstock, I would be eliminating 230 pounds of global warming pollution. Pretty cool, huh? They are connected with Ebay, Staples, Macy's, and many more stores. So if you have to shop, shop green!

You guys all have a Merry Christmas. I'm taking a break from this screen for awhile. I'll see you after I have had my fill of caramel rolls.

Cheers,
Sam
"There are three critical ingredients to democratic renewal and progressive change in America: good public policy, grassroots organizing, and electoral politics."
Paul Wellstone




1 comment:

Lamont Cranston said...

No, it's not their air.