January 23, 2008

It's Not You, It's The Books

In a letter to John Adams, Thomas Jefferson said,

"I cannot live without books."

I'm sure his "Dear John" letter - get the title now? - went on to describe his thoughts on faith, and his deep love for his wife. But the point is, he loved books. So, it's safe to guess that good ol' TJ would have a ball at the upcoming VNSA Book Sale if he were still ticking (cheap Deist joke)...

The Volunteer Nonprofit Service Association is hosting its 52nd Annual Sale two weekends from now at the Arizona State Fair Grounds. The sale is February 8th and 9th. On both days, the fun starts at 8AM. Check out the website for a complete listing of categories, layout, drop boxes for donations, and benefiting charities. Make sure you come with a list, though, I always get out of hand without one. See you there!

Cheers,
Sam
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
Mark Twain

And, just for fun, here is a foreign adaption of Huck Finn, a novel written by Samuel Clemens. Clemens, better known as Mark Twain, was also a Deist.

Hilarious animation and music. Enjoy!

3 comments:

John Spencer said...

The VNSA booksale is where we get most of our books in our house. Now it's where I get books for my classroom as well. Last year, I was able to secure enough copies of Brave New World to have enough for a reading club. Yeah, I guess that makes me a geek, but it felt like an accomplishment at the time.

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

You are just so clever. I like the video.

Kim said...

Um, what? I said that. oops.