March 6, 2008

Marching To The Beat Of A Different Drummer

Different is being defined as "Icelandic" in this instance. Just hold on. I'll explain why in a second...

I tend to study /do homework to wordless music. I love jazz, but sometimes I need a little more giddy-up to get my brain waves operating at a functional level. Tonight, I put the finishing touches on my last assignment before I can send the space between my ears to Daytona Beach. One last five (5) page paper to write, then Spring Break.

The playlist? Thoughtfully put together by Quinn, it included The Album Leaf, Explosions in the Sky, and This Will Destroy You. Like I said, a little more giddy-up than 'Round About Midnight.

There was a little surprise for me at the end of the playlist. Right along the home stretch, when I was doing some final revisions and rewrites, Sigur Ros started to play. And not just any song. It was from a long-lost album (Takk...) that took me back to the days when I shared a three (3) bedroom house with four (4) other people. Quite an adventure (The album and the house). And just in case you think the only thing Iceland succeeds at producing is athletic-trainer vixens, I put the video here at the bottom for you to see why the song recalls such vivid imagery. The song is about six (6) minutes long, so if you don't have time to watch it now, make sure you come back when you do. It will have a better impact if you watch it in its entirety.

I'm done with the paper. I'm done with school until St. Patrick's Day. And I'm done being twenty-two (22). Goodnight.

Cheers,
Sam
"People are always asking me about Eskimos, but there are no Eskimos in Iceland!"
Bjork



3 comments:

Kevo said...

Happy Birthday Sam!

What's up with the might ducks II link?

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

Come on now, Kev. And somebody, please back me up here...

Were you not confused by the rush of emotions you felt towards the assistant hockey coach for the Iceland National Team? She's beautiful, yes. But the treachery. Oh, the betrayal.

She is forever implanted in my mind walking down the street, all lovy-dovy with Emilio Estevez (I swear to God, the Mighty Duck man himself), ice cream cone in hand. She almost cost them the title, Kevin. Thank God the movie was produced by Disney - and therefore supplied with a happy ending - otherwise the scars of my childhood would have never healed...

Quinn Patrick Kelly said...

I personally loved the Mighy Ducks reference. I think we need to do an honorary "flying v" next time we are out riding.