March 29, 2008

The Mayor On Earth Hour

The mayor stopped by Palatte this morning for breakfast with his family. He has been busy the last few days. He threw down a pretty big speech yesterday calling out Sheriff Joe Arpaio on some of his questionable actions lately.

He also took some time out of his day to explain why he feels Earth Hour is so important for Phoenix:

The reason I wanted our city to be one of the lead cities for “Earth Hour” is to help remind every individual that there are small, simple changes each of us can make that will help curb carbon dioxide emissions. Each one of us can make a difference. Emissions equal to taking 48,000 cars off the road will be reduced during that hour.


That's alot of cars. Here is his full letter posted on the Downtown Phoenix Journal, and here is a list of the other seventy (70) sustainability programs that the City of Phoenix is committed to.

I would love to hear about how you celebrated Earth Hour. Let me know in the comments!

Cheers,
Sam
"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world."
William Shakespeare
(In The Merchant of Venice)

7 comments:

The Girl from Mozambique said...

We turned off all the lights in the house and hung out on the balcony. One laptop was plugged in so the youngens could watch Thomas the Tank Engine. The little one asked "How come the street lights are still on?" :-)

Keith Matthew Maupin said...

I turned on all my lights and ran the dishwasher, my vacuum, and my electric toothbrush. That'll show you.

Casey said...

We went to a little coffee shop and sat outside with lots of other Flagstaffonioans, watched the stars, and talked. Happy Earth Hour!

African Kelli said...

I turned off all the lights before I headed out to an open-air, air-conditioned club in Scottsdale.
oy.

And Palatte? Looks fabulous! Thanks for the tip!

Quinn Patrick Kelly said...

We went for a bike ride. I watched Andrew wreck on his bike. It was gnarley.

andrewGoodwin said...

I went for a bike ride with Quinn and Matt. They watched me eat shit.

aMAROONe&GOLD said...

I think we need another Earth Hour...

I don't remember participating last year when I was in Australia, but it's a brilliant idea.