May 15, 2008

It's All Marketing - And Margaritas

My sister is fond of saying, "It's all marketing!" She is also seventeen (17), and vulnerable to any type of marketing. In fact, she probably wants a Nikon camera even more now that Ashton is all over their commercials. Being fair, though, I'd probably consider buying jeans from Gap (or "The Gap" as Mark likes to call it) because of this commercial. And my future iPod purchases will be greatly affected by this ad:



Point is, marketing is important. And not just for iPod, Gap, or Nikon. Nonprofits have to effectively package their idea, their mission, their vision for the consumer culture we live in. Enter Jimmy Buffet. That guy? Oh yeah, the great Sikh of the Spongecake & Salt Shaker has got a few things to say about the principles of marketing...

According to Katya, from Getting To The Point, Buffet is a "marketing genius." And after reading what she had to say, I am proudly on that bandwagon. Katya argues that Jimmy adheres to three solid principles that every organization can learn from:

1. Simplicity: He stands for one thing. To me, that thing is life as a margarita - carefree, hammock-lying, drink-sipping relaxed happiness with a little salt around the edges. From his music (Cheeseburgers in Paradise, anyone?) to his restaurants to his books. Which brings me to his…

2. Consistency: It’s about the margaritas as life, folks. Always. Visit his website. The name? Of course it’s margaritaville.com. Note: excellent lead generation on the page with the email sign-up. Nice touch.

3. Hopeful: The allure of something happy is strong. Remember that when you tell stories. If you go dire in the telling, remember that people want hope and happiness as the punchline.


Simplicity, Consistency, and Hope. Man, that sounds familiar...

After musing on these concepts for awhile, I came to the conclusion that my sister might be onto something. The organizations I am most excited about, give regularly to, and volunteer with have simple messages, consistent actions, and hopeful visions. It might just be all about marketing...

Cheers,
Sam
"It takes no more time to see the good side of life than it takes to see the bad."
Jimmy Buffet

6 comments:

tatum said...

i love you sam. youre a pure genius.

adammackwright said...

hmm...hope and happiness...no wonder nobody likes my blog.

Anonymous said...

I think you must frequent the internet quite a bit with all the web links you continuously throw down, but have you ever been to www.africaaid.org? They have shirts for sale (only $20) and if you purchase before June they claim that 100% of the profit will be used to feed a child for an entire school year. That's a big deal. Perhaps even worth writing about?

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

Thanks, Tatum. You're too good to my ego.

I'll be the Yin to your Yang, Adam. Any day.

Anonymous, I'm a big fan of names. Maybe next time? And I glanced at the website, look for a review sometime tomorrow after I can dig a little deeper into it.

John Spencer said...

Hey Sam, I have no way to contact you except for you blog. But, could you e-mail me at socialvoice@gmail.com?

I love this post, by the way. You're a real creative thinker.

Aaron Stiner, DRB said...

Stay tuned to the new United Way marketing campaign out soon - Live United, Give, Advocate, Volunteer. It's simple, powerful and taps into our current cultural need for a movement.

Check out the promo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBsmYHQEZ0