May 20, 2008

Wacko Tree-Huggers

Quinn and I are company men.

Meaning we carry a certain sense of loyalty for the companies we work - and have worked - for. This means that Quinn will always use Dial soap, shop at Home Depot, and buy Lort's furniture. You think I'm just embellishing for blog's sake. But next time you're over at my house, take a peek into Quinn's bathroom. That smell? Dial.

It's a little harder for me, though. In the last five (5) years, I've probably had close to twenty (20) different jobs. Seriously. However, I did stay one place for a really long time (read: two years).



Yes, I called the Big Green Giant home for a long time. Long enough to be able to see, smell, and taste differences between coffees from different regions of the world. Long enough to order a complicated drink with precision. And long enough to defend its practices. That's right, Sam the anti-Wal-Mart guy is a fan of Starbucks. We all have our weaknesses.

Anyway, I had a habit of reading the quotes on the back of the cups when I worked there. And along with drinking copious amounts of coffee, the addiction stuck. I still do it just for fun, whenever I am at a store I grab a few cups of each size (the difference in space availability affects the length of the quote) to scan for good ones.

If you are a faithful reader of this blog, you (hopefully) notice my use of quotes. I don't just make those up. I search relentlessly for them. I'm an addict. I told you that already. Well, I found a golden one. I laughed out loud when I read it. People stared. I stared back. Ok, so I didn't - but it would have made the story a whole bunch better...

The author of this quote founded a website that is definitely worth checking out. It's called Grist: Environmental News & Commentary. There are articles on how to make backyard weeds into pesto and other edible items, what the greenest shaving cream is, and even a place to prepare yourself against "unbelievers" (Environmental Apologetics?). They are also looking for Development Director, so if you're looking for a new job...

Enough build-up, already! I'll see you guys later.

Cheers,
Sam
"So-called 'global warming' is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!"

Chip Giller

2 comments:

Aaron Stiner, DRB said...

"thanks" for the "insightful" blog "comment"

web 2.0 my a**!

Brandon K. Baker said...

Stellar quote. I might have to steal that one from you sometime.