June 16, 2008

No Mo' Joe

On Thursday (6/19), I and two hundred (200) of my closest friends will be at the County Board of Supervisors meeting to hold said community leaders accountable for the current sheriff's actions. After all, they are our employees, right? If you would like to join us, the meeting will be held at 205 W Jefferson at 9:45AM. If you have any questions, or would like any more information, feel free to email me at samuel [dot] richard [at] asu [dot] edu.

I am going to commit myself to working on a campaign this summer and fall. And not the one you might think. I'll be volunteering for Dan Saban, an American Lawman. Mr. Saban is running against Joe Arpaio, an Arizonan Embarrassment, for Sheriff of Maricopa County. A few things led up to this decision, but I think none more so than my deep-seeded pursuit of justice. But like I said, there are other reasons, too.

A few years ago, I worked on Howard Dean's campaign until he screamed. It was pretty much over for him after that. I also grew up as a Boy Scout, where civic engagement and always being prepared (read: keeping band-aids in my wallet) are highly respected. In tenth (10th) grade, I was able to go to Washington, D.C. with the Close Up organization. I came back with a tie full of little red and blue elephants on it, convinced that Conservatism would save the state of our Union. Three weeks later, after a ten (10) minute conversation with a family friend, I threw that tie away and have since been exploring liberal ideals. But like my good friend Stephen says, "Truth has a well-known liberal bias," so maybe it was inevitable considering my interest in non-fiction...

All that to say, I believe that a change is necessary in the Sheriff's Office. And I'm going to do something about it, hoping for change. Weird, right? Maybe Mr. Saban will pay attention to those 40,000 outstanding warrants on his desk, and heck, he might even shed some light on some shady dealings in Honduras and China...

Not that my endorsements have any clout in the real world, but you can consider this my official endorsement for Dan Saban. See you in November, Joe.

Cheers,
Sam
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Hey Sam!
I'm in totally agreement that change is much needed in our Sheriff's office!!! It's been a long time coming in my estimation. Go Sam (and Dan)!
Looking forward to seeing you soon :D
Love you,
Susan

rebecca said...

Couldn't agree with you more!

John Spencer said...

I'm hoping things change. I've been re-reading "A People's History of the United States" as well as "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and I keep finding myself linking Woodrow Wilson to the current Republican Party - racist, xenophobic, imperialistic and nativist.

When we looked at the Civil Rights movement, students saw a picture of Bull Connor and the dogs attacking Civil Rights leaders. A student remarked, "Hey, that's Sherrif Joe."

Sam, when historians (and I mean good historians, not the crap you read in textbooks) remember this period, you'll be on the side that fought for social justice.

Tall, Dark, & Complicated said...

Outstanding.

Just when I think that young people are too insular to care about the community they live in, a cogent voice emerges. I applaud your efforts, and welcome your activism. I fought and bled for your right to free speech and assembly. I am so pleased that someone in your generation is ready to carry the torch.

J.C. Johnson
AWCS (AW) (CAC)
United States Navy, ret.