January 9, 2009

The Power Of Stories: Introduction

Introduction

I'm home.

The plan was to blog while I was away, but the good people at Marriott like to charge $15 a day for wi-fi. Alas, I'm back here in Phoenix - with a more affordable Internet connection - ready to download my experiences from the 2009 American Humanics Management Institute. So much happened over the trip that I'm going to split it up into five parts - Introduction, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Conclusion. Pretty inventive, I know. But there are a wealth of experiences I want to share with you, and a few thoughts that I want to flesh out. So get excited, because I am.

***

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am in a part of a program called American Humanics. The AH curriculum "educates, prepares, and certifies professionals to strengthen and lead nonprofit organizations." Once a year all seventy (70) campuses with AH programs are invited to attend the American Humanics Management Institute (AHMI). This year we were in Indianapolis, and next year we will be right here in Downtown Phoenix. Throughout the week, we discussed a broad range of issues and topics with the overarching theme of The Power of Stories: Passion From the Inside Out. I attended workshops on research tools, ideas to engage youth in leadership, and others. Our keynote speakers addressed hunger, and we networked like crazy. Hanging out in downtown Indianapolis wasn't too bad either, but I can't share all of those stories - this is a family program. Overall AHMI was an outstanding experience, I'm looking forward to sharing a few vignettes with you.

But before we jump into Day 1, here is a striking video I found on Osocio today. It is very well done spoof of Burger King's new Whopper Virgin ads. Let is serve as a reminder as to why a meeting of the next generation of nonprofit leaders was more than necessary.



Cheers,
Sam
"The future does not belong to those who are content with today... Rather it belongs to those who blend passion, reason, and courage."
Robert F. Kennedy

No comments: