June 22, 2009

NCVS Blog - Monday 5PM

So, a big part of my new job is to raise the celebrity of service.

Good thing I came to the National Conference on Volunteering and Service - check out the lineup for the opening ceremony:

Jon Bon Jovi
Matthew McConaughey
Arrianna Huffington
Maria Shriver
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Michelle Obama

In addition, there were appearances by the Glide Memorial Church Choir and the leadership of the HandsOn Network and the Corporation of National & Community Service. Said differently, it was three nonstop hours of celebrity - with a little substance thrown, to boot.

And the night wasn't over. The title sponsor of the conference, Target, threw a huge party for the attendees at Fort Mason with food, drinks, sunsets over the Golden Gate Bridge - and a live performance by Chaka Khan.

Hoping to take a few notes from the experience as we develop the Spirit of Service Scholars Program. Maybe U2 will rock out for our kickoff event - pro bono (jokes for music nerds).

Cheers,
Sam
"As a rockstar, I have two instincts. I want to have fun, and I want to change the world. I have a chance to do both."
Bono

No comments: